Monday, October 30, 2006
I went in for my root canal, never fun, and had first some slightly happy news, then some not at all happy news. First, my dentist's office now gives complimentary parafin wax hand dips. very fun. if you don't know what that is, ask some female that you know gets manicures. They also give you head phones to listen to music.
however, my nerves are not only highly resistant to novocain, they are also resistant to the new stuff that works really well on top, but not so much on bottom. After many pokes, my mouth was numb enough for him to go to work. BUT my teeth are ALSO stubborn sons of bitches and my root canal passage or some such is too narrow for the drill and I need to go to a specialist for my root canal, at which time they might not be able to do it either. THEN guess what happiness occurs?! I forget the full terminology, but it ends in "-ectomy" which is never a good thing. they basically go in from the side, PEELING back your gum, and fix the tooth from BELOW. please pray for me that the root canal works.
The ardocain is starting to wear off, but I still can't talk right. Gonna take Kaia to swimming, then come home and make dinner. Mike has an EMA get together to go to.
CRAP. just missed a call from Kaia's girl scout leader...TOTALLY forgot girl scouts is....F#*K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! forgot I told the school she'd be going every Monday, so she DID go to girl scouts, then I forgot to pick her up at 4:30!!!!!!!!!!!! So Jennifer, the leader, took her home, then called me. my god. I am the WORST mother, I swear! She just got back, went out to meet her. She was fine, thank the gods, didn't even realize anything was wrong.
aside from the parafin wrap, bad day all around. no gold stars for me. in fact, take some away! sheesh.....and it's not over yet, still have to go to swimming, let's see if I can manage not to lose my only child again....
STILL CAN'T TALK RIGHT.
1. In two words, explain what ended your last relationship? Paranoid Psycho
2. When was the last time you shaved your legs? Oh…umm….hmm…..well…oh! I know! October 18th! right before we went to Vancouver.
3. What were you doing this morning at 8am? Getting ready for work, and bugging Kaia to get her hair brushed.
4. What were you doing 15 minutes ago? Taking the deposit for work, picking up my futon cover, and getting pissed about the fact I forgot to buy a pumpkin for Kaia to carve, and now everyone is out except for the fake carving ones that are TWENTY FREAKING DOLLARS! no, I did not buy one.
5. Are you any good at math? Not really. I can do well in it in a class if I have a good teacher. I was actually really good at geometry….but I really really really don’t like math.
6. Your prom night? Junior year…I went with Abe, who would become my first husband. I wore purple. Mostly danced fast dances with other girls whose boyfriends were sitting down claiming an inability to dance. Had fun, but not enough to want to go the next year.
7. Do you have any famous ancestors? Not really. My brother and sister are related to Jesse James though! And I’m related to them…
8. Have you ever taken out a loan to pay for school? nope
9. Do you know the words to the song on your myspace profile? Why does everyone think I should have a damn MySpace?! NOT gonna! NOT!
I have no clue to where Number 10 is......so we will move along.....
11. How many different beverages did you drink today? It’s only 9:47….but so far I’ve had some water and some coffee
12. Do you ever leave messages on people's answering machines? If what I wanted to talk about was important. If I was just calling to say Hi, then not always. And I never do on boss-man’s, cause he doesn’t listen to them anyway, and he’ll see I called from caller id.
13. Who did you lose your CONCERT virginity to? Jackson Browne! opening was Vonda Sheppard, who later played piano on that one show with the dancing baby and Calista Flockhart.
14. Do you draw your name in the sand when you go to the beach? Wow…I haven’t been to the beach in too long…I think I do…yeah.
15. What's the most painful dental procedure you've had? Any of the ones that the dentist wouldn’t believe me that I need more Novocain than most people.
16. What is out your back door? A hill. Some concrete. Soon part of my container garden.
17. Any plans for Friday night? Watch Grosse Point Blank with my husband, if I can find it.
18. Do you like the ocean? Oh yes.
19. Have you ever received one of those big tins of 3 different kinds of popcorn for Christmas? Not sure if I have ever received one, but I’ve bought them for myself…
20. Have you ever been to a planetarium? yep. at OMSI
22. Something you are excited about? Dressing up for work tomorrow!
23. What is your favorite flavor of JELLO? Cherry
24. Are any of your great-grandparents still alive? Had to think about that one…no.
25. Describe your keychain. There is a metal circle. And some keys. And a hook thingie. Very simple.
26. Where do you keep your change? There is some loose in my purse. Some in a coin purse in my purse. Some in my car. And some in the change jar in our room in which we are supposed to put ALL change until it fills up and we can do something fun with it.
27. When was the last time you spoke in front of a large group of people? Um….hmm…not really sure…high school maybe? Wow…there has to be a time after that…just can’t think of it right now.
28. What kind of winter coat do you have? A big black poufy one! And a pink one for less cold days that is prettier.
29. What is your current relationship status? Happy and content with My Man, for the rest of my life.
30. What are you wearing right now? Grey turtleneck shirt with a blue shirt over it, grey slacks, white socks (can’t see them) and black boots.
I guess the next questions make up for not having Number 10........
+. What is your current problem? My tooth. Getting a root canal at 1.
+. What do you love most? No, it’s WHO. Mike and Kaia. Hands down
+. Who makes you most happy? See above.
+. Are you musically talented? Nope. I can usually play mary had a little lamb on the piano if you give me time to practice. :-)
+. If you could go back in time, and change one thing, what would it be? Nothing. Everything, even the bad stuff, made me who I am today, and I like me.
+. If you MUST be an animal for ONE day-what would you be? A bird in some tropical place with no people. Fly! Fly!
+. Ever have a near death experience? I guess. When I was 16 and got really sick and it took the doctors a long time to diagnose what I had. My doctor said it was the worst case of ulcerative colitis he’d seen in 10 years.
+. Can you sing? Can I? uh uh, no way, no how. DO I? hell yes.
+. What's the name of the song that's stuck in your head right now? Strangely enough, I don’t have one.
+. Who did you cut and paste this from? Nadine from http://velvettush.spaces.live.com/
+. Name someone with the same b-day as you: Mike Meyers
+. Have you ever destroyed someone's property? Not to my recollection.
Sunday, October 29, 2006
I love it. I love my family.
Hello All! Here is Kaia today,
AFTER we took down the couch tent (the blue blanket on the side of the couch was the tent)
She isn't smiling for some reason, though she was two seconds before this shot. She is actually having a wonderful time, really!
The tail she is wearing has lost one of it's parts, it originally was three scarves all tied together.
Here's Kaia and I last night. We went to a party a few apartments down.
I'm the same thing every year, and only had to buy a wig this year, so it's an almost free costume. People seem to get a kick out of it.
At the party--Kaia had a good time, there were 4 or 5 other kids there, and they had a couple games planned, including this really easy monster hands making project that was pretty cool. You take plastic gloves (not the latex kind) and put a candy corn in each finger, to look like fingernails. Then stuff the rest of the hand with pop corn and tie closed with a ribbon.
I had an okay time, wasn't completely bored, just didn't know anyone. And I realized something. I wasn't really interesting in getting to know them. I have some very good friends, though most of them are far away, and I don't really need more. Also, there's not really any point in getting to know anyone here, since we'll be gone in a year, and they might be gone sooner. Very transient time of our life. Everything here is so short term. well, not everything. It has been wonderful living so close to Andrea and John and their family for a few years. They will be ALL I miss about this time. And we'll come back and visit them often of course.
Katia is at home today. I went out this morning to vacuum their house with my cool vacuum cleaner. Got a lot of dog hair, it's really cool to see how much it gets after each vacuuming. Was there when Katia came home, it was SO GOOD to see her up and smiling. She isn't fully recovered, but well on her way.
I haven't written very much lately. Not sure why. Been busy, yes, and tired. My tooth is bugging me today, not taking any more vicodin, nasty stuff. Ibuprofen seems to work fairly well. Going tomorrow to get a root canal, fun times.
Still haven't gotten a pumpkin to carve...need to do that tomorrow. Kaia will be pretty disappointed if we don't. I could care less. the messiness of carving, the messiness of getting rid of it when it's over. I love Halloween, but mostly the dressing up bit.
Hint for new parents who miss trick or treating--when Kaia first went out, and every year since, we tell her what Halloween is all about: Getting lots of candy to bring home and share with your parents. She bought it then, and it's just a given now. She's really good about sharing candy anyway, but it's good to train 'em young.
Will try to get back to Daily Glimpses this week too.
Have a wonderful Halloween, and happy Sunday!
Saturday, October 28, 2006
hello! for some reason I am in a blogging slump. so busy, but doing what?!
Went to a party at Kaia's preschool last night, dressed up as you can tell from the picture. Will look a bit different on Halloween itself, will post then too. My costume was a hit, especially the ears. Kaia had fun with her costume too, though the mask is a bit frustrating for her. She was also a bit cranky, and sugar didn't help. Overall it was a good night though.
my tooth is worse today, and really want to get laundry and other cleaning done, so can't take vicodin. for some insane reason I took some last night again, and once again had enormous trouble sleeping. it's so odd, I'll get really tired, but my mind will just be racing. got up at 2 am and made myself a peanut butter english muffin, so hungyr, but can't eat much! I'll be glad when this is fixed.
Thursday, October 26, 2006
hello from you friendly vicodin-stoned blogger for tonight! yes, I had forgotton how much vicodin affects me. good thing I'm not driving anywhere.
I have a damn abscess in one of my teeth. getting it taken care of Monday. hurst like hell. well, doesn't right now, of course.
Anyway, this picture was taken while in Vancouver, so technically not a Glimpse. will get back to those, promise.
Kaia and Bree, I hope you two know each other your whole lives. Two very special, smart girls. Love you both so much!
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
I am wearing all grey. this is unintentional. I was trying to find a new shirt when I realized I was late for the parent teacher conference with Kaia's teachers. I am even wearing a grey bracelet...well, hematite...so silver-y grey-ish. it's grey.
grey pants. grey shirt. grey coat. grey bracelet. oooo! black shoes!
i FEEL grey.
forgot my coffee too.
oh, and it turns out, school-wise--my daughter is about average. need to actually turn in homework (yes, I know). She's reading and comprehending at an average level, though she is in one of the top reading groups. She needs to work on writing during writing, and not drawing during writing. She is social and friendly. She is "vibrant".
I can still think my daughter is above average, right?
I feel grey.
Saturday, October 21, 2006
No glimpse, obviously. I didn't bring my camera cable with me, or my laptop so I wouldn't need the cable. Will post some when I return. Having a really really good time. We went to a pumpkin patch today, Kaia had a blast, lots of pictures taken there too.
so much I think of to write....but no time.
quick funny-today on the couch...
"mom, sometime can I have a step-mom?"
"umm..no, you can't--" I start to explain why...but she interrupts me-
"--but mom! Miriam at school has a step-mom! why can't I!?!"
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
Liam and Kaia are in the livingroom watching a movie. Gotta go get ready for work.
Monday, October 16, 2006
My best friends' daughter just went in for surgery tonight. She has appendicitis and multiple abdominal cysts. She's ten years old, and is very scared. or was, she's in surgery right now. I feel so helpless, sitting here. Her little brother is upstairs, collaborating with Kaia about staying awake. I know this is a help, to have him here, and I am glad to do it. I want to do something else!! What!?!? I want to sit and wait with them, but I know that I am not needed there. That's ok, they have each other, and sitting there won't help anything. It's not a major surgery, but it's not minor either. She has a 50% chance of infection afterwards. What really sucks is that her symptoms were exactly like the flu, and any of us mothers would have done the same thing they did, which was treat her flu at home. Her mom feels guilty that she didn't bring her in sooner. I wish I could take that guilt away, convince her that she is the wonderful mom I know her to be. This is so scary, and I know I can't even feel a fraction of what they are feeling.
God, if you are there, you take care of this child. you hear me? You help the doctor to keep a steady hand, and you help him or her heal that girl. Please. please. and be there for her parents too. whether or not we believe in you in a clear way, or any way, if you are our creator, take care of us. take care of them. I know my prayer is not pretty or full of praise. I don't pray often. I don't know if there is anyone to pray to. good energy of the universe, gather at her side. fill her with healthy energy, with healing energy.
She will be fine. I know she will. People have surgery every minute. She will be fine, and have a scar to show off and tell the story of way back when....
Sunday, October 15, 2006
What a nice Sunday this has been. Nothing huge happened, and Mike and Carol didn't get to visit, but it was relaxing anyway. Kaia and I went grocery shopping. She has decided to be a cat for Halloween, black with white paws. I got a wig for my Elf costume, since I found my ears awhile ago, and I am very excited!
Here's Kaia wearing the ears, she reminds me of the Gump in Legend.
I messed around with my wig, putting a few braids in it, gonna put more in...also messed around with makeup for the big day...I love Halloween!
Leaving on Thursday for Vancouver, SO EXCITED...it's not enough time!! We only have 5 days there! I want more.
Kaia has her first Girl Scout meeting tomorrow after school. Hope it goes well and she is not disappointed and I am not horrified. Off we go to join the Cookie Cult.....
Saturday, October 14, 2006
Here Kaia and I are this morning....well, closer to noon actually, though we got up at 8:30. We are making chocolate chip pancakes! Wanna know the secret to divine chocolate chip pancakes?
use mini chocolate chips. yep. yum.
yes, we use bisquick. if you follow the "melt in your mouth" variation, they can't be beat. and add the mini chocolate chips, of course.
The white cup on the right is my coffee. see DG #2
The socks are a cold-weather morning must. They came off after 3 or 4 hours of cleaning. Check out Kaia's footwear. One flip flop and one ballet slipper!
I got my house SO nice today! Every single floor either vacuumed or mopped. got a pile of papers sorted I've been meaning to get to for weeks. Laundry is done and gets put away tomorrow.
I pumiced my toilet, then scrubbed it from top to bottom! yay me! For those of you who don't feel this is a note worthy occasion, and, in fact, do that frequently, don't come to my house. You are not welcome.
yet I look around my livingroom and there is clutter....must do something about that.
My uncle Mike and Aunt Carol might be coming for a visit tomorrow! I'm not sure, because she didn't respond to my email response to HER email about the visit...so I'm hoping that she got it, and they are coming. Kaia wants to ask her how to write her name in Chinese. And I want to visit of course.
Friday, October 13, 2006
here I am! working and drinking, is that allowed?! I'm also talking online with Jason. Does it count as multi-tasking?!
so you can see the mess my couch is right now....just put it out of your mind...
oh, and the photographer is Kaia! whoo hoo Kaia!
I am drinking riesling....mmmmmm.....
Thursday, October 12, 2006
Ah Ha! You thought I forgot, didn't you?! I did not...I am slacking off and taking a break from doing my textbook lesson and giving ya'll another glimpse into my life and times. And man, is it exciting!
There are a few small details I must point out.
1. Coffee. in my new purple leak-proof travel mug! A morning Necessity.
2. Water. working on that healthy thing called...health...
3. See that small yellow innocuous looking thing by my hand? That, my friends is a phone pry tool. Evil little thing, because it makes it easy to pry (they were smart with the naming bit!) parts off of cell phones. This is often a good thing, but in my hands gets out of control quickly. Never, I repeat never, let me near your phone with one of these innocent looking items. Unless, of course, your phone is broken anyway and I'm your last, very last, chance at making it work.
4. See the computer screen? On there is a list of names. This list grows EVERY DAY. This is a good thing, because it means we are selling phones. But one of my jobs (see the phone to my ear? I am in the middle of said job) is to call these people at various times in their cell phone ownership and inquire about their happiness with our product. Overall, not a stressful job, as they aren't often rude (since I am not selling anything), but can get tedious.
5. Other Important Daily Tools-
Wireless mouse, Oh! How I love thee!! Until your batteries die...
Stapler! what an awesome invention.
Scissors...fairly self explanatory in their usefulness, I would think.
Yellow box at left edge of counter- new 8400 phone that was sold shortly after pic was taken. Out because we have no fake phone to show people, and it's a really cool phone.
Pens. Multiple. Oh, the sad fate of lost pens...where art thou?! (and bring back all those post its I know are with you.)
POST-ITS! Again...POST-ITS!! There is a God. and on the ninth day, she created post-its. and it was Good.
(post its looks very funny written out, and sounds funny after being said a few times. funny funny language we speak. lang-goo-widge.)
Any spills-especially those involving fresh spinach- should be wiped up immediately."
what a world.....
watch out for the spinach, man. it's sneaky. can go bad at any moment.
(yes, I'm aware of the E. coli thing)
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Swimming! Here is Kaia, where she is every Monday and Wednesday from 6:10-6:55. She's really loving swimming, and is doing really well. She's improving on her side-breathing, which you have to admit is not the easiest thing to co-ordinate, so imagine trying to do it at age 5!
I hope she continues to enjoy it as much as she does now.
I have finally figured out a regular "thing" to do on here!
and it will be a single picture giving you, my devoted readers, a glimpse into my life every single day!!
Aren't you just thrilled? On the edge of your seat in anticipation for the first posting?!
you will have to wait.
'cause I don't have my camera right now.
Daily Glimpse 1 !
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
This time, I sat down and planned FIVE recipes, for Monday through Friday. I wrote down only the ingredients I needed for those five, and planned which day I wanted to have which recipe.
We are on day Two. This is AWESOME. such yummy food too. Tonight it's Curried Chicken & Corn Chowder.
Gonna do this every week, one week at a time!
Sunday, October 08, 2006
This picture was taken 7 years ago (WOW, the time flies by....) Up at my mom's house. The boulder was a gift from all of us to my dad on father's day, and is actually a good gift, for him, not an "oh my gosh...you got...a rock?!" sort of gift.
When the pictures came back (we were using that archaic form of photography known as "film") this one looked like this.
Andrea and I went out one night to take pictures of each other (the picture on her blog is from that night), and we had a lot of fun. I hopped (heaved myself) up onto the boulder and was messing around. Will post some of the other pictures taken that night in a bit.
Thursday, October 05, 2006
"So, darlin', I noticed you've been wearing pants lately. You decide you like them after all?"
"Yeah, but just a little bit. I'm thinking about liking them more later. I like them medium size now."
"Medium size, huh?"
"Yeah. I will like them a lot more later."
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Panda-Cam! a baby! Sometimes the baby is hard to see, but SO worth it when you can!
(and where has all the time gone!?! It seems I am so busy lately! good...go faster, time, faster! like, a year and a half....I want to go to school....)
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
2. Della-Bell (nickname my mom calls me)
THREE SCREEN NAMES YOU HAVE HAD, INCLUDING THE ONE YOU NOW HAVE:
1. Morning Glory
2. HippieBlueSkirt (was on some site where EVERY FREAKING name was taken.)
THREE THINGS YOU LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF:
1. My optimism (it’s usually there!)
2. My open-mindedness.
3. My ability to adapt to unexpected events.
THREE THINGS YOU HATE/DISLIKE ABOUT YOURSELF:
1. My temper – not often shown… but when it is…..
2. My laziness
3. I can sometimes be very petty.
THREE PARTS OF YOUR HERITAGE:
3. French Canadian
THREE THINGS THAT SCARE YOU:
1. Something bad happening to my daughter.
2. Having an undiagnosed heart problem that I die of. (I shudder just thinking of it)
3. Large black jumping spiders.
THREE OF YOUR EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS:
1. Eye cream
3. A hug from my daughter
THREE THINGS YOU ARE WEARING RIGHT NOW:
1. Grey slacks
2. Maroon long-john material shirt
3. Black slides (shoes)
THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE BANDS: (OR SINGERS)
1. Violent Femmes
2. Nine Inch Nails
3. Reverend Horton Heat
THREE NEW THINGS YOU WANT TO TRY IN THE NEXT 12 MONTHS:
1. Square dancing
2. To be a better employee
3. To get pregnant (but not til the end of the 12 months)
THREE THINGS YOU WANT IN A RELATIONSHIP:
TWO LIES AND A TRUTH
1. I have to pee.
2. I don’t want chocolate.
3. I love my life.
THREE PHYSICAL THINGS ABOUT THE OPPOSITE SEX THAT APPEAL TO YOU:
1. A nice sculpted (but NOT too muscle-y!) back and shoulders
2. A big happy smile
3. Clean hair
THREE THINGS YOU JUST CAN'T DO:
1. Accept prejudice in a friend.
2. Not flirt.
3. Sing on key.
THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE HOBBIES:
2. Planning my house that I will build someday.
3. Learning about gardening.
THREE MSN BLOGGERS YOU WANT TO PARTY WITH:
1. Mocha (she is not msn. Bite me)
2. Tinidian (again, not msn. Not sorry)
3. Andrea (msn!)
THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO REALLY BADLY RIGHT NOW:
1. Eat chocolate.
2. Have my essay already done.
3. Win the lottery.
THREE CAREERS YOU'RE CONSIDERING:
1. Ultrasound tech
2. Rich early-retiree (see number 3 of above)
3. Student (to get number one)
THREE PLACES YOU WANT TO GO ON VACATION:
3. Somewhere tropical
THREE TRUE LOVES:
1. My husband, always and forever.
2. My daughter.
THREE FAVORITE ANIMALS:
2. Baby sheep
THREE REASONS WHY YOU'RE DOING THIS:
1. I am procrastinating finishing my essay.
2. Because I Love these things!
3. I’m just plain bad.
is for the following people....in no particular order, except the first is intentionally Tania, cause she sent it to me (love ya, girl), and the love to each is in no way diminished because of the number of names....
Tania, Simon, Kathy, Mike, Bree, Mike, Kaia, Mom, Dad, Katie, Mick, Jason, Carol, Mike, Gem, Chris, Jeff, John, Andrea, Katia, Liam, Katrina, Jette, Dennis, Shane, Leah, Ally, Mathew, Bill, Shaun, Ariel, Alicia, Steve, Maya, Steve, Linda, Jennavieve, Jennilyn, Jada, Kendrick.....is that everyone? hope so....
oh...and a few people who will never see this...but sending out the love anyway
( I guess some of the above people won't see it either, but all of them I still am in contact with.)
Abe, Tisha, Barbara
and my Gaffer.
Monday, October 02, 2006
I was extremely grumpy today, and I finally realized why. I don't get PMS very much, but I get cranky when I ovulate....very strange. But I get REALLY cranky and emotional. cry a lot easier too. Customer care almost made me cry a couple of times today, when usually they just piss me off. They did that today too of course.
Had a wonderful weekend, but need to work on my textbook lesson now. tell you all about my weekend tomorrow!