Tuesday, April 29, 2008

This, That, and the Other

I feel there is so much I should, or could, write about that I haven't written because it all seems overwhelming. And a couple of the things are really important, like my mom's surgery, and Tania's pregnancy, that doing a post that includes all of them seems to trivialize the important ones. But if I keep this up, I'll never write a post again! So, please forgive me, mom and Tania, for putting your really important things in with other not so important things. So, here, in a probably very long post, are some of the things that I've been meaning to write about lately......

First up, I realized I haven't mentioned Tania's pregnancy much, if at all. The initial reason for that was that she wasn't telling everyone right away, and though none of the people she wasn't telling read my blog, or really even know about me, I thought I'd honor her desire to keep it all on the down low. Then when she DID tell everyone, I'd already known for awhile, and I didn't have the "OH MY GOD THERE'S SOMETHING AWESOME HAPPENING" chance to write about it. However, it IS happening, and it IS AWESOME. She finds out whether she's having a girl or a boy on the 30th. I was starting to think about a baby shower for her, but she is having one in Canada, so if I had one in Vancouver, there'd only be a couple of people. I think instead I will just do something special with her sometime in the coming months, and ask her sister in law, Sarah, to help me get some scrapbook stuff done at the shower. It would be nice to go to Canada, but I don't have a passport, nor the $100 it takes to get one, not to mention the money to get there. Ah well. Another time. Back to fun stuff!! I am SO sis-cited to meet her baby!!!!

My mom went in for hip surgery yesterday. It was successful, and I've talked to her a few times today. She's very tired, but excited that it's done, and looking forward to trying out her new hip! She's going to get the second one done in a few months, then planning on going hiking again for the first time in years! I'm really happy it's going well, and sending many many healing, happy thoughts her way.

At school the other day:

Kaia: Ms. H, I know what s*x is!
Ms. H: Oh, really?
Kaia: Yes, but I have to whisper it in your ear, 'cause some of the other kids might not know yet.
Ms. H: Okay........
Kaia (whispering): It's when a mom and a dad take off all their clothes except their underwear, then they hug and hug and hug!!

At my mom's house this past weekend, Kaia was watching TV. We don't have one, so she hasn't see actual TV shows for a long time. The show went to commercials. She watched for a minute, then looked over at me-- "Mom, what is this?! My movie was on, then all these....something came on that wasn't my movie!" I told her those were ads. She was confused. "What are ads?" I explained. She wasn't impressed. Yesterday, on the way to school she brought it up again. "Mom, why do those companies need more money? They already have money!"

I'm in a bit of a funk today. Something going one with a friend that I am trying not to take personally, because I am 99% sure it ISN'T personal, but my insecurities are rising, and I really would like it to be resolved. I don't know her very well yet. What I do know says that it isn't about me, and I keep yelling at myself that it isn't always about ME, in fact, it rarely is! I'm being selfish and egotistical to think it's about me. So I should just let it go. And I'm trying. It's so not this big of a deal. Okay, enough now.

Ben! He is so wanting to crawl! oh! and while we were at my mom's, I was standing with him in my arms in the kitchen with a few other people. He was wiggling and fussing and pushing away from me, so I put him on the floor so that I was holding on to his hands while he was standing. He looked all around at everyone, then grinned up at me like "NOW I'm just like everyone else!" He's so aware of the world around him. I'm working on a few things with him. Trying to get him to go to sleep without nursing him to sleep, and helping him get used to his crib. Today he woke up from his nap in it and didn't immediately start crying! He just looked around. Progress!! Last night he slept in his crib for a three hour stretch!

Okay, that's enough for now. Must work on house and dinner.

No comments: