Sunday, November 18, 2007

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Sometime after we move, I am going to actually start the cookbook for Kaia that I already have the supplies for. In it will be all her favorite recipes, in the hope that when she moves out, she will then have a large collection of things she likes and knows how to make. Today I decided that pictures would be awesome in it, at least of the finished product. Then I decided that I may as well also take pictures of the process, a la http://www.thepioneerwomancooks.com/ and post the recipes for all of you! so we begin:

Here are all the ingredients.
A few side notes: the recipe only calls for 8 ounces of cream cheese, so it may be easier to simply buy an 8 oz. block. It's up to you.
Also, the plastic container is powdered sugar-I didn't have a pretty box of it to put in the picture.
As you can see, this recipe calls for very few ingredients!

So! To begin! In a large bowl, mix TWO boxes of devil's food cake mix, 4 eggs, and 2/3 cup of oil. As you can see, I don't use oil, I use melted butter. Again, up to you.
Mix on low, then medium until thoroughly blended.
The batter will be THICK.
Either roll into one inch balls, or cheat like I do and use a cookie scoop!


Flatten with something...I used a measuring cup.
Put in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 9 minutes. Remove from oven, let sit for a couple of minutes, then cool on cooling racks. While cooking and cooling, make filling!
Blend together 8 ounces softened cream cheese and 1/2 cup softened butter.

Blending....


Add 4 cups of SIFTED powdered sugar. Sifting removes lumps. If you don't have a sifter, or don't want to sift, that's your choice. :-)
After every cup or so, blend in....Add 1/2 tsp. vanilla....
And beat until creamy!
Should have consistency of frosting...cause that's basically what it is...cream cheese frosting...we are just going to use it as filling....
And here we have our cookies...about to be removed to finish cooling....

place about this much filling on the bottom of one cookie...you may want to put more, I had left over filling, but what I used was a good ratio, in MY opinion, of cookie-to-filling.so, yes, about so much....
Place second cookie on top and while pressing down, spin the cookies a bit...will help spread filling.

Feed to hungry beasts of all ages.....

Here is the finished product!

...don't worry, the recipe made more than this - about 20 or 30 sandwiches (so 40-60 cookies, sorry, didn't count)

The original recipe called for coloring the filling red and green...looked very pretty, but I try not to use artificial colors like that when I have the choice....once again, up to you!

:-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you marvel, you......this is wonderful!! I so look forward to more.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!! These look great. I will be makig these soon