Saturday, April 28, 2007

Finally! I worked in my garden!

Here are my two tomato plants, after transplanting! The ladders aren't staying up very well, but they aren't completely falling over, so I have hope. Both plants were outside, but the wind is a bit strong for plants that have spent their whole lives indoors. I'll put them back out tomorrow for a bit. I also planted basil seeds around the base of each plants....one has Lemon Basil all around, and the other has Large Leaf Italian and Red Rubin Basil. Looking forward to taste testing!

Here are the first of the two kinds of strawberries....these are the Whopper, and I am very much hoping they are just ugly hibernators....one bag is Andrea's, one mine....


Here is the second set of strawberries...these are Delmarvel, and look much better, don't they? Again, one is Andrea's one mine. After a week or so I can hang them up and have trailing bunches of berries! That is the plan at least...


And finally, here are the lettuce mixes I planted a few weeks ago...not looking great, but there's still time. I didn't refrigerate the seeds first, like I did with the last batch, and so far that seems to have mattered....

Keep watch! I'll post pictures of each of these as they grow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Del, these are so cool! I am intrigued by the hanging strawberry plants, what a great idea. perhaps if you tied the tomatoes to the ladders, they could stand the wind? Little twist ties, you know? How do they get enough light? You are learning so much, I will have to come to you for advice when and if I get a raised garden going. I am SO IMPRESSED with these! Are teh pots the 'Earth boxes' we talked about?

Anonymous said...

You are living my dream. I have this fantasy where I grow all kind of vegetables in my own garden, and then use them in my food. Only one problem. . . I don't actually like being outside that much. Well, I guess I'll have to leave it in dream land for now.