Friday, July 21, 2006

Written July 6th, 2006

Fine, wear whatever you want.

This morning, my daughter wanted to wear her dress with long black velvet arms. Very warm. I looked outside, and saw sunny bright skies, shining down on green grass. Though yesterday wasn’t sweltering, the day before was, and I didn’t want her to be uncomfortable. So a long drawn out argument began. She was in tears, begging to wear the dress. With her comfort in mind, I stoically resisted, and told her if she wasn’t dressed in five minutes, I would pick out her outfit for her. This usually is threat enough to get her moving quite quickly, but this morning she remained on the floor, sobbing. Five minutes passed, and I picked out some shorts and a short sleeved shirt, perfect, I thought, for the weather we would have. I forced her into the hated outfit, which really was quite cute. She tearfully followed me to the car, and into preschool. On the way in, I pointed out the bright cloudless sky. She wasn’t buying it.

I am now at work. Watching the rain pour down and listening to THUNDER for god’s sake. Sigh. I give up. She can wear whatever she wants, and if she’s uncomfortable, well, too bad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Della,

So this is your new home. I see you have been busy with a few blogs.

Girls are harder to dress than boys. Boys wear t-shirts and jeans all year around. You know they are cold when they dig out their jacket.

Glad you liked my cell phone tirade. I forgot you sold them. It is a shame that there is not a test you must pass before operating one. : )

****Bobbie****

Anonymous said...

Interesting...

So what did you "learn" from this?

Let her dress herself from now on?

Stop using your (Mom's) common sense when guiding her?

Or, get a second opinion (two second with an online weather report)to show her (or you) what the weather is going to be like?

And what do you think your daughter has learned from this?

-Brainy