Friday, July 28, 2006

Simplicity Lesson One

I have a book - Simplicity Lessons. Each one has a lesson, questions, and assignments! It suggests keeping a journal, so that I can read my answers more than once...but I figure this is just as good, and I am more likely to use it...so here goes...answers to--

Lesson One
Why Choose Simplicity?

1. What does simple living mean to you? How would you define it?
To me, it means living without clutter, physical and emotional. Living without tons of technology, always needing the newest thing. It means living well below my means. It means keeping only those possessions which are useful or very important, and not allowing those possessions to own ME. It means teaching my daughter that material things are not even close to the most important things. It means learning to be happy with what I have. Also, it means living closer to the Earth, being more in tune with my surroundings, with my fellow humans.

2. What is it about your life right now that attracts you to simplicity?
With a very tight budget, we need to really limit what we buy. Much of the above answer answers this, I think. Living simply seems more calm, with more time to enjoy life, and live it, rather than working just to get to the next purchase.

3. Have you experimented with simplifying your life? What were the results.
So far, I haven't done a huge amount. I'm clearing out my house of unnecessary things. Next summer I plan to have a container garden and supply my own veggies and fruits. I want to learn how to sew more, and sew more of my and my daughters clothing, but haven't started that yet either. Clearing my house is helping clear my mind, creating a more calm environment, and keeping the clutter down!

4. Can you imagine what your ideal life of simplicity would look like? Describe in detail.
In time, I want to have a garden big enough to grow all my own fruit and vegetables. I'd like to be completely debt free. I'd like to have chickens supplying my own eggs. I want to learn to can, and keep a large amount of food on hand in storage, shopping less often. I'd like to sew many of my own clothes. Mostly, MOSTLY, I'd like to learn to be honestly happy with what I have, and enjoy my family, friends, and self to the utmost.

Assignments - none yet, just do the rest of the lessons.

No comments: